Sunday 20 May 2012

Dream Big Canvas

It seems like ages ago since I last posted, but it was only Wednesday. Since then I made an ATC for a swap with Kate Crane.  I drew a cowgirl Kate with Dylusions spray's in each hand, and a caption saying 'Put em up!', I'm really pleased she liked it. Kate posted it on her blog Here. I love my ATC from Kate (mine is the green one), it's taking pride of place on my wall. :-)

I've been getting all preoccupied with painting up a 60 x 60cm canvas which has taken me all week to do since I work full time. I felt that layering up a canvas was one step up from layering up a journal page really, so I jumped in with both feet and got cracking. I was inspired to do the canvas by two books I had bought from Art from the Heart, they were 'Layered Impressions' by Katie Kendrick and 'Taking Flight by Kelly Rae Roberts'.

One thing I do love about painting up a canvas, is that you can use lashings and lashings of acrylic paints and really get your hands all dirty and get my Ranger apron dirty too! Here's the finished article below. Dream Big, Live Well and Be Happy. I've hung it on the wall above my bed. Maybe I'll go to sleep now instead of thinking too much about designs and layouts!


I started off with the blank canvas which I primed with gesso and allowed to dry. This didn't take to long to dry, about an hour maybe. Then I tore up some papers and stuck them on with multi-purpose PVE glue. 


I painted over the top with more gesso and stuck some bubble wrap into it while it was still wet for a textured pattern.


I stuck down some florist straw on a roll down one side, and used a 'Mini Cubist' Crafters Workshop stencil with some brown acrylic paint here and there.


I filled in some areas of the florist straw with glue and Beadazzles (love this product, I'm always looking for an excuse to use it!) just for some more texture and interest. I also used Dylusions 'Jumbled Letters' stencil randomly around the canvas too.


I used Indigo Blu's Flitter Glue and gilding flakes with a Tim Holtz stamp to get these beautiful gilded circles 4 or 5 times around the canvas.


Then I drew a women's face on watercolour card and coloured her with acrylic paints. I cut her out and stuck her on the canvas too. this was the halfway mark. I used the bubble wrap again dipped in Burnt Umber acrylic paint and randomly stamped it too. I also stuck down two skeleton leaves in the bottom right hand corner.


I used heavy structure gel through the Cubist stencil and a Dylusions 'Dotted Flowers' stencil to generate some raised areas on the canvas.


I got my brayer out and loaded it up with a few different shades of blue and rolled it over the edges of the canvas.


I stamped my current favourite Crafty Notions heart stamp up the side of the florist straw using blue Aqua Adirondack dabber acrylic paint, and shaded the area around the heart with pastels.  I used a fab Inkylicious text stamp with black paint randomly too.



I used Tim Holtz Grungeboard letters and sprayed them with Postbox Red Dylusions Inks and Red firefly Cosmic Shimmers on my craft sheet, then when they were dry, I sprayed them again, then again. Then I stuck them on the canvas.  I did a bit more shading here and there, and added some darker areas of brown acrylic paints around the edge using a paint sponge until I was happy with the colour.


Then I hung it on my bedroom wall! 
Roll on the next one!

22 comments:

Kaz Hall said...

Michelle this is just beautiful! I love all the layers and texture just gorgeous xx

kaz xx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...Michelle this is just amazing...so much thought on your placement & textures has paid off, a visual treat for all the eye's who see this stunning piece of art...I loVe it & you must be so proud with what you've achieved...super fabby stuff...Mel :)

Evil Edna said...

I am blown away by this it is so intricate you could send hours look at just little pieces of it. The square shapes and gleaming circles remind me of some of Klimit's painting with their depth and patterns.EE

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow! This is awesome! I LOVE all the layers, it gives such depth to this piece. Love all the different textures too. Fab-u-lous!!

GlorV1 said...

Very very nice. Great job and enjoyed the step by step. Lots of layers. Thank you for sharing. Happy PPF!

May said...

Let me pick my jaw off the floor... This is Fabulous!!! I love all the textures and your painting is Stunning... Just BRILLANT!!! Hugs May x x x

Katie Jeanne Wood said...

I just ordered that stencil from Artist Cellar last week!! I really like how you used it in your painting.

Linda Kunsman said...

this is so gorgeous-love all the textural elements!! Thanks for sharing on Art Journal Everyday!

Wendy Fraser said...

Oh WOW Michelle. I can't think of the right words to describe how AMAZING this is. You could be making yourself a fortune with your canvasses in the right galleries xx

kristin maynes said...

That is beautiful! YOu're a creative one! :) I love your imagination and creativity. Very nice work! Happy PPF!

RuthArt said...

oh thank you for sharing the step by step, it's really helpful to know how people go about making their art!! Very creative and wonderful result.

CAROL said...

Hi Michelle, thank you for becoming a follower of my blog and for your lovely comments, I'm now following yours and what a fabulous blog it is to follow, I love this canvas, thank you also for sharing how you have made it xx

faye said...

Oh Michelle, this is gorgeous and what a wonderful piece to have over our bed! I love it.

wednesday said...

It's so interesting to see this come together stage by stage. It's obvious that there are a lot of layers, but it really comes home when you see the process and makes all the effort that much more impressive.

SHERI COOK said...

Amazing work and I loved seeing the process!!!
Happy PPF!
Sheri Cook
Happy Horse Studio

Kate @ {K}Mericks said...

I just completed a "Dream Big" Painting too! I loved how much texture your painting has, and that blue really makes the whole thing pop! Great job!

Mishelflos Paper Creations said...

Fabulous!! I was wondering whether to get some of those Dylusions for my Web Site, havent seen them used in this way before! I think you have tempted me to order some:)

Thanks for going in to so much detail on how you achieved the look:)
michelle x

Marjie Kemper said...

OMG Michelle this is gobsmacking gorgeous!!!!!!!!! I have just lingered way too long admiring all the texture and colors, so many fun additions with the stencils and leaves and beads... you have created some absolutely beautiful art here!

And PS I admired that funky ATC of Kate but didn't realize you were the artist... it's beautiful and whimsical all at once!

Ric / Life N Canvas said...

Beautiful works of art... i like the hearts and the leaves. Awesome leaf veins!

Paula J Atkinson said...

Thank you for visting my blog.
I abvsolutely love this piece of art. The blue paint on those leaves really gives a tactile feel to the whole piece.

Crafting Queen said...

Wow this is wonderful.

Debbie Dolphin said...

OMG!!! This is amazing... I have most of the products you have used. I must have a go at this. Thanks so much for the fab inspiration
Hugs
Debbie xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...